CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 14, 2008

Mexican Chicken Sandwiches

3 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded taco or Mexican cheese blend, divided
1/3 cup mayonnaise
8 slices sourdough bread
1/2 cup salsa


Directions: In a small bowl, combine the oil and seasonings. Brush over both sides of chicken. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.

Meanwhile, combine 1 cup cheese and mayonnaise; set aside. Grill bread slices on one side until lightly browned. Spread with cheese mixture; grill until cheese is melted.

Place chicken on four slices of bread; top with salsa, remaining cheese and remaining bread, cheese side down.

Yield: 4 servings. Editor's Note: Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe. (From Simple & Delicious magazine.)


Comments: The chili and garlic powder rub on the chicken give it such a good flavor. I also like the cheese mixture you spread on the bread. (This is definitely not a super healthy meal that’s for sure!) To add some extra flavor, I mixed some ranch dressing in with the mayo. The recipe calls for sourdough bread, but I recommend Texas toast. It makes it sooo yummy! (The first time we tried this recipe, we used those ciabata artisan rolls from Costco; I don’t recommend those rolls for this meal. They’re too dense.) I also recommend cutting the chicken breasts in half. The sandwich is almost too filling if you have a whole chicken breast. Plus a half breast would fit better on the Texas toast. My mouth is watering just thinking about these sandwiches. So scrumptious!

0 comments: